Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Scratching My Head

Ok, so those of you who are following me (thank you, thank you) will know that I started this blog because I was tired of being afraid. I promised myself that I would stop allowing my fear to rule my writing. Finally.

Well after reading over and skipping through some similar blogs to mine I've realized just how many others are like me. Others who are struggling to get that burning idea down on paper, to see that character who has been talking to them for months now come alive on the page.

It's eye-opening and heartening to see so many others in the same struggle. I feel their pain and I hope they push through and write their stories.

But I've recently developed a problem. I think I've given myself too many options in my story. I know the main character and the main antagonist, as well as the world in general but I'm not sure where I want to begin in her story. I've tried outlining it. Didn't help me really. I could only plant the sections in that I knew but the rest I left open.

I know several scenes that I want to write in but I'm not sure which would be the best way to proceed. I mean have I given myself too many options or am I really just suffering a case of the dreaded writer's block? EEEEEEEEEK!! It seems WAY too early for that to me. But I've put those mental blocks in place before so really should I be that surprised?

So where do I go from here? I'm leaning toward just making notes in the book stating something like "she meets X here." Hmmmm

The thing is I want to write this book in order. I want to write everything from beginning to end but there are so many blank pages in my head right now. I thought I knew where she was going but now it's as if she has stopped to take a breather. Maybe that's just as well, maybe I've been forcing her down a road that she doesn't want to go down....

Maybe I've spent WAY too much time with my character these past few days too since now I see her as a separate person, almost.

Naaaaaaaaa.

I'm taking it as a good sign, she's finally come out to play with me and that's always good. Now if only I could get her to make a decision....

Here's to getting that first novel written!

No comments:

Post a Comment