Saturday, August 22, 2009

Distractions and Flying Fingers

Well since the last post I have been really busy trying to get everything down on paper. Which is good. VERY good actually.

But I've noticed that it seems like every time I sit down to write, something happens. Whether it's somebody who just happens to drop by or, my favorite, family comes over to see what I'm up to.

The conversations with my mother usually go something like this.

Mom: "What are doing today?" Me: "Oh nothing, you know the usual; housework, laundry, accomplishing a dream..."

To which my mother replies, "Oh that's nice dear." (Points at laundry pile) "I thought you said you did laundry?"

Bangs head against wall....

Or the phone rings and the conversation goes something like this, "Hello? Hey, what's up?"(Pause) "What am I doing?" (Deep breath) "Oh finally getting a chance to write." (Pause) "Yes, it's an important part! The whole thing's important!!"

It's been a struggle to get the doors open in my head so I can actually write and now these other distractions keep creeping up. It's driving me insane!

I know life happens and I have to make time to write, which I am doing finally, but it would be nice if people would realize that I need to treat writing like it's a second job. I have to write as much as I can, when I can do it and right now with the story working I need to write a lot!

How do you handle distractions? Do they bother you as much as mine do? Or am I just overreacting because I'm worried that I'll get out of my groove?

I refuse to let these distractions get in my way though. I have turned my ringer off my phone and have cranked up the music tonight to let my imagination soar.

The only thing that could distract me tonight would be my front door blowing off it's hinges, causing me to have a heart attack over the keyboard.

Here's to pushing through distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment