Friday, August 14, 2009

To Outline Or Not To Outline...

My idea has finally reached a stage where I think it has percolated enough. I've gone over some initial details with friends and family and now it's time to outline...or is it?

I've never outlined a story before. I've only used small sticky notes and notebooks to jot down ideas on. Now I'm bursting to write in heavy page numbers but I just can't seem to start without writing a small pathway through the story. But there is a part of me that just doesn't want to do that. It doesn't want to take the time to write a possible outline of what may happen knowing that it could change in the future. Hmmmmm.

So here I sit, staring at a computer screen trying to figure the best way to write my story. Maybe I'm looking at it too seriously. I mean should I really care how I get to the end of my story? All that should matter is the end result. Right?

But I believe that writing should be fun and it is, very much so for me, as long as I slam the door in the face of all my doubts. The idea of an outline just takes a lot of the fun out for me. Some writers swear by outlines, they need it to help them see the story more clearly. But I see this story. I don't know all of what's going to happen but oh do I know enough.

I guess I could try it just to see if it helps but then that nagging voice starts up, "Look at all the time your gonna waste by outlining! You could already be several pages into the story!!" She's a very bossy voice. Blast her but she does have a point.

So once again I ask myself, to outline or not to outline. Hmmmm. I'm thinking start it first then if I get stranded do an outline. I guess if I get stranded I'll know next time to outline from the very beginning.

3 comments:

  1. From what I've heard, it works for some people and not for others. I'd say if you don't feel like it, don't bother... but then again, I've never finished a novel. But I've read books about finishing novels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of an outliner myself. I think it's good to have a general idea of where you're going, but writing should never be so rigid that you can't go down an unexpected path and see where it takes you. What helped me get organized is creating a list of mini-paragraphs where I describe scenes that I know I want to get to, even though I may not know exactly where they fit. It's kind of like having a loose script you can improvise from. Good luck on your new project! Those first few pages are always so exciting...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the advice! Sometimes I feel like I'm just stumbling through this process, but then again that's part of the fun for the first novel, right?

    ReplyDelete