Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Write Anything

I've started carrying a notebook with me everywhere I go so that I can jot down ideas that come to me throughout the day. It's small, yellow and fits perfectly in my purse. It's also divided into 3 sections which I like because I have several ideas that have been percolating and this way I can jot down notes according to story ideas. I stumbled on it in a dollar store. Funny how that happens.

I've also started posting sticky notes by my laptop at home. I'll write a question or thought down and stick it up so I can be reminded later what train of thought I was in when I wrote before. It really works and the inspirational quotes help remind me that I'm not alone.

I have a close friend who is now a college English professor and during college when I visited him it was always fun to read the little lines written throughout the apartment. He and all his roommates were English majors and they constantly wrote really thought provoking phrases. Questions like, "If I see a broken line is it really broken or is it just my perception of the line?" My favorite was a broken CD that they had been pasted on the bathroom mirror with a quote. I can't remember what it said exactly but I remember the joy of the uniqueness. Their apartment was always an adventure in literary pursuit.

I don't want to be the next Hemingway. All I want to be is somebody who provides an entertaining and enjoyable read. I don't need (or want really) a Pulitzer Prize or Newberry Award. To be able to make a living by creating the worlds I see in my head and spend time enjoying my family would be pay enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment